I am not a fan of regular potato soup, but when Artie Davis made this cheesy potato soup years ago….I was hooked! We introduced a similar version to our children and they love it!
What Do I Need?
- 8qt. Stockpot
- Sauce Pan
- Griddle or Skillet (for frying bacon)
- Measuring spoons / cups
- Stirring Utensils
- Ingredients (see below)
What Are My Ingredients?
- 1 5lb bag potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 lb bacon, crumbled
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup bacon grease
- 1 2lb block Velveeta cheese block
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 stick butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- shredded cheddar cheese
How Do I Prepare It?
- In a stockpot filled with water (allow enough room for potatoes to float freely as they boil), boil cubed potatoes for 20 minutes over high heat. Do not drain potatoes.
- As potatoes are boiling, fry bacon on the griddle or in a skillet, preserving bacon grease.
- Set aside bacon to crumble and use as a garnish in potato soup.
- Pour bacon grease into stockpot with potatoes.
- In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour, stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir in milk. Cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly.
- Reduce potatoes to medium heat, pour milk mixture into potatoes, stir until combined.
- Cut cheese block into chunks and add to potato soup mixture.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Let cook until you get the consistency you want, stirring constantly.